Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, 7th Edition
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to succeed as a clinical lab technician! Textbook of diagnostic Microbiology, 7th Edition uses a reader-friendly „building-block“ approach to help you learn the essentials of diagnostic microbiology. Featuring full-color drawings and photos, this text helps you learn to identify significant isolates in the lab and to develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to the accurate diagnosis of infectious diseases. Written by noted educators Connie R. Mahon and Donald C. Lehman, this edition adds new content on SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, along with the latest information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines.
- NEW! Information about SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 is added to this edition.
- NEW! Updated content is included throughout the book, and several chapters are reorganized and refocused.
- NEW! Enterobacteriaceae chapter is updated.
- Building-block approach encourages you to use previously learned information in mastering new material.
- Full-color photographs and photomicrographs make it easier to understand and apply diagnostic microbiology concepts.
- Case studies describe clinical and laboratory findings, offering opportunities to correlate observations with possible etiologic agents and to build critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Hands-on procedures in the appendices describe techniques used in the lab setting.
- Issues to Consider boxes list important points to think about while reading the chapter.
- Case Checks in each chapter highlight specific points in the text and show how they connect to case studies.
- Bolded key terms with abbreviations are listed at the beginning of each chapter, showing the most important and relevant terms in each chapter.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter supply you with a measurable learning outcome to achieve by completing the material.
- Points to Remember sections at the end of each chapter provide a bulleted list of key concepts.
- Learning Assessment Questions at the conclusion of each chapter help you to think critically and to evaluate how well you have mastered the material.
- Agents of Bioterror and Forensic Microbiology chapter provides the most current information about these important topics.
- Lab manual on the Evolve website reinforces concepts with real-life scenarios and review questions.
- Glossary at the end of the book supplies you with a quick reference for looking up definitions of key terms.