Ciottone’s Disaster Medicine, 3rd Edition
- Part 1 offers an A-to-Z resource for every aspect of disaster medicine and management, while Part 2 features an exhaustive compilation of every conceivable disaster event, organized to facilitate quick reference in a real-time setting.
- Covers basic concepts such as identification of risks, organizational preparedness, equipment planning, disaster education and training, and more advanced concepts such as disaster risk reduction, health in complex emergencies, building local disaster resiliency, psychological impact of disasters on children, and more.
- Contains new decision trees throughout that help guide you through the decision-making process in difficult situations.
- Uses an easy-to-follow, templated approach to historical perspectives, overviews of current practice including pre-incident and post-incident actions, medical treatment of casualties, and potential pitfalls.
- Includes updated sections on man-made disasters, including mass casualties, active shooter situations, integrated response to terrorist attacks, and chemical/biological/radiological/nuclear/high-yield explosives disasters.
- Discusses the latest technologies, such as the use of mobile disaster applications, drone response systems, and virtual reality simulation training.
- Features thoroughly updated information on crisis leadership, practical applications of disaster epidemiology, disaster and climate change, and the integration of non-government agencies (NGOs) in disaster response—a critical topic for those responding to humanitarian needs overseas.
- Includes new chapters on Pandemic Preparedness and Response, Disaster Medicine in a Changing Climate, Disaster Response in Asia, Building Local Capacity and Disaster Resiliency, Civilian-Military Coordination in Disaster Response, Medical Simulation in Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Nursing, Crisis Meta-Leadership, Palliative Care in Disasters, Counter-Terrorism Medicine, SARS CoV (COVID-19 and SARS), and Disasters in Space Travel.
- An eBook version is included with purchase. The eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures and references, with the ability to search, customize your content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.